Thursday, October 22, 2015

Seven Days of Mustard Greens - Day 5

And now for something completely different...day 5 of our challenge takes us to India for a variation on Saag Aloo. Since we are still harvesting potatoes from the garden, this dish seemed like a natural. Saag Aloo is usually made with spinach, but I substituted the trifecta of Green Wave mustard, Chinese Hon Tsai Tai, and Red Rain Asian mustard that I had in the refrigerator.
The original recipe called for black onion seeds, which I did not have. Instead, I added an equal amount of ground cumin to the other spices. The Fatali hot pepper I used made this a five-alarm dish! Another interesting discovery was that the purple stems of the Hon Tsai Tai turned the water I used to blanch the mustard a lovely violet color. I wonder if I could use it to dye yarn?

No comments:

Post a Comment